Saturday, September 21, 2013

Little Acts of Kindness

Last week I wrote about controlling the tongue; what not to say, and what we ought to say. One thing that we are told to do with our tongues is encourage others:
"But exhort one another daily, while it is called 'today,' lest any of you be hardened through the deceitfulness of sin." (Hebrews 3:13)
We are told to exhort those around us, to lift them up, to be joyful. But do we take a moment out of our day to make someone smile, let them know we're thinking about them, or give them a hug, telling them it's all gonna be okay? And if not everyday, do we do it weekly? Monthly? At all?
I know that going up to someone to say hello or ask how they're doing, writing a note to somebody saying a kind word, or just smiling at them can sometimes be awkward at first, but I know perfectly well that when someone goes out of their way to say something nice to me or merely acknowledge me and say hello or ask how I'm doing, it has had a wonderful positive impact on me, and it's not something I'll ever forget. The people who have made it a point to encourage or compliment me not only made me happy, but I had the motivation to be extra kind to others as well.
Kindness has a way of oftentimes becoming a chain reaction.
We shouldn't want to be nice to someone so they'll like us or think we're a sweet person; we should want to be nice to them so we can hopefully brighten their day by simply putting a smile on their face. And maybe our small act(s) of kindness will urge them to be kind to the next person they see, et cetera.
That's the way to spread God's love and joy throughout the world by His people.
"Do not withhold good from those to whom it is due, when it is in your power to do it." (Proverbs 3:27)
"Anxiety in a man's heart weighs it down, but a good word makes it glad." (Proverbs 12:25)
"So whatever you wish that others would do to you, do also to them, for this is the Law and the Prophets." (Matthew 7:12)
Have a blessed day!
~Courtney

2 comments:

  1. YES!
    The little things are my favorite! (You read my blog so you know. lol.) I send people letters of encouragement and Facebook messages alllll the time. (my best friend calls me Paul, like from the bible because I write so many letters.) and I used to worry so much about if the person I was sending it to would like I was a creep or whatever. but I've learned to let that go and Im learning to get out of my comfort zone and just do what God is calling me to.

    Great post:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great! I love sending little notes too, and it does seem to get easier over time. Thanks for being an encouragement!

      Delete