Friday, November 9, 2012

So, What About College?


I'm going to rant a little on this lovely afternoon. I am not pointing fingers at anyone; I am simply voicing my opinions and questions.
   
     It's been a month since I've last written, and that's just because I haven't sat down to write what has been on my mind. But this morning as I was getting ready to venture out in to the world (also known as a trip to town), I was thinking about my future, which I'm sure is very common for almost everybody. I think a lot. So this time I was thinking about college, which has been on my mind lately, thanks to the many questions that people I know continue to ask.

     I don't know about you, but when I get asked the same question, or a variation of the same question, more than a dozen times in a short period of time, it gets a little... old. I couldn't even begin to count the times I have been asked "when," "where," and "what for" about going to college. The conversations I have with them usually sound a little like this:
     "So, where do you go to school?"
     "I was home schooled, but I graduated last year."
     "Oh, so are you going to college?"
     "No, probably not. I've never really wanted to go."
     "Well, you should look into it. There are plenty of great classes you could take. Find a career that you love, and go with it. You can do whatever you want."
     This is where the conversation either ends with me saying I'll think about it, or that person goes on about how great education is, what a good thing it is to make a living, etc. I honestly don't mind that everyone seems to have this conversation with me, because it tells me that people care. I love it when people ask me questions, but to tell you the truth, most times they don't understand my answers when it comes to their asking about college.

     Okay, here's the shocker for ya: I don't WANT to go to college. NEVER have! And if I did want to go, I would want to choose a major before I begin, so I won't be wasting money on classes that I may not need in the long run.

     First, let me get a few things straight:
          1. I am not against college. I think in many cases, it is a good thing.
          2. I have friends in college, boys and girls, and I am happy for them. They are all pursuing great careers.
          3. I don't want to go to college, but that does not mean I never will.

     So. In response to all the questions like, "Why on earth would you not go to college?" I have some questions for you!
   
     You tell me that I can do whatever I want, that women can do anything they feel like doing, but then when I tell you my one dream is to hopefully someday get married and raise a Godly family, you think I'm crazy and should go to college before I do anything. WHAT? Why is it that a girl can become anything she wants, even if it means traveling away from her family, but as long as she's making money it's totally okay? Why is it that you think it's crazy that I want to depend on my husband to earn a living for our family? And furthermore, why do you believe I won't ever become anything worthy of recognition unless I go to college for four years?

     Again, I have nothing against girls going to college, or even helping to earn a living. But it does bother me that there are wives and mothers who have full time jobs, make great amounts of money, but don't have time for their husbands, kids, and other duties in the home!

     My one dream my whole life has been to be the best Christ-follower I can be, and to marry a Christian man and raise a family together. I've often said I'd like to be an astronaut, but my parents don't like the idea of me leaving the planet, so that's out of the question. I went through a phase when I wanted to be a teacher, then I wanted to be a cosmetologist, and at some point I thought it might be cool to be an interpreter for the deaf, using ASL. But I don't have to go to college for all of those. Sure, I can learn tons more if I study each thing specifically, but really, if I have kids someday, I'll be able to do all those things and more! A mom has many jobs in her one career alone. Listed are just a few jobs that most moms do on a regular basis:
          1. Chef
          2. Teacher
          3. Cosmetologist
          4. Fashion designer
          5. Secretary
          6. Doctor/nurse
          7. Chauffeur
          8. Seamstress
          9. Psychiatrist
          10. Judge 

     Now tell me, how is being a stay-at-home wife and mother demeaning, throwing my abilities away, or snuffing out my chance for a higher education? Raising a Godly family and seeing them grow up to be helpmeets and soldiers for God sounds like the best "degree" one could receive in an entire lifetime! If they taught how to be the very best Christian wife, mother, sister, daughter, and friend in a college class, I'd sign up in a heartbeat. But I've got the textbook I need in order to achieve that goal, and that is the Bible.
    
     So thanks, but no thanks; I'll risk losing my chance for a "higher education" and work on being a humble servant for Christ, following every step of the way He leads me to go.

     "That they admonish the young women to love their husbands, to love their children, to be discreet, chaste, homemakers, good, obedient to their own husbands, that the word of God may not be blasphemed." (Titus 2:4-5)

     "Charm is deceitful and beauty is passing, but a woman who fears the Lord, she shall be praised. Give her of the fruit of her hands, and let her own works praise her in the gates." (Proverbs 31:30-31)

6 comments:

  1. AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!! I tell people that all the time and they usually go ranting about how I'll never survive in the economy and blah blah blah. I salute you! You are awesome! I agree with everything you just said! I'm so glad I'm not the only one:) haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yes, it's rare but VERY encouraging when someone actually agrees on the subject. :)

      Delete
  2. Very well said. It sounds as if you have prayed a lot about this issue. I listened to "everyone" and went to college, then had a career outside my home. I thank God every day that I finally listened to HIM and came home where I belong. I am teaching my sons to be prepared to support their families, and my daughters the skills of home making.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heavenly Princess,

    I love what you wrote here and agree that you have chosen the dream God intended to be in your heart as his female child. When you find the godly man who has a dream of meeting a godly woman who wants to raise a godly family with him you will be such a blessing to him. You will not have thousands of dollars of debt that he has to pay off either. You will not be tempted to change your Bible based priorities and submit to your bosses demands instead of your husband so you can pay off school loans. You also will not be sad that you can't come home and start a family because with the economy the way it is you need to keep working. I am so thankful for godly young ladies like you who have the spiritual fortitude to stand their ground and keep training in the best place to become a godly wife and mother one day-the home of their father and mother. Thank you for sharing your thoughts. Love you!

    Darlene

    ReplyDelete