Monday, November 25, 2013

Mirror, Mirror On the Wall

"Mirror, mirror on the wall, have I got it?
'Cause, mirror, you've always told me who I am.
I'm finding it's not easy to be perfect
So, sorry; you won't define me.
Sorry; you don't own me.
Who are you to tell me
That I'm less than what I should be?
Who are you, who are you?
I don't need to listen to the list of things I should do;
I won't try, no, I won't try."

(BarlowGirl, "Mirror")


Beauty. What is your definition of beauty? Is your idea of true beauty based on what the world has been telling us? The world tells us that you must have perfect hair cut just right, flawlessly tanned skin, lots of makeup, fashionable size-0 clothes, a cool phone and all the latest gadgets, and a hunk of a boyfriend every weekend (even if it's not the same boyfriend every weekend), etc. in order to be "beautiful."

But what does GOD think about true beauty? Shouldn't His opinion matter more than anyone else's? I mean, after all, He is the Inventor of beauty; He created us! 
"For You formed my inward parts; You wove me in my mother's womb. I will give thanks to You, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made; wonderful are Your works, and my soul knows it very well." (Psalm 139:13-14) 
So, what does the Bible say about beauty?
"Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting;" (Proverbs 31:30a NIV)
"Physical beauty will fade," is basically what this is saying. But what is true, lasting beauty? The end of this verse explains it this way:
"but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised." (Proverbs 31:30b NIV)
"A woman who fears the LORD" is beautiful. That kind of beauty (good character/beliefs) doesn't fade away.
"Likewise, I want women to adorn themselves with proper clothing, modestly and  discreetly, not with braided hair and gold or pearls or costly garments, but rather by means of good works, as is proper for women making a claim to godliness. Women must likewise be dignified, not malicious gossips, but temperate, faithful in all things." (1 Timothy 2:9-10; 3:11 NASB)
"Your adornment must not be merely external—braiding the hair, and wearing gold jewelry, or putting on dresses; but let it be the hidden person of the heart, with the imperishable quality of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is precious in the sight of God." (1 Peter 3:3-4 NASB)
Think about the women of the Bible for a minute. Queen Esther was indeed physically beautiful, but that is not the legacy she left behind. What do we remember most about her? Her courage, faith, compassion, and conviction to stand up for what is right! 

The godly women of the Bible are remembered for their works -- NOT their looks. Looks fade away and are easily forgotten, but good works and good character remain, and are what we will be known for in the end.
Strength and dignity are her clothing, and she smiles at the future. She opens her mouth in wisdom, and the teaching of kindness is on her tongue. She looks well to the ways of her household, and does not eat the bread of idleness. (Proverbs 31:25-27)
 The Virtuous Woman of Proverbs 31...

  • Is strong,
  • Dignified
  • Smiles (and doesn't worry about the future),
  • Is wise,
  • The teacher of kindness,
  • Looks out for others, and
  • Is a hard worker.
Ladies, THAT is true beauty


"Mirror, I am seeing a new reflection; 
I'm looking into the eyes of He who made me 
And to Him I have beauty beyond compare; 
I know He defines me."



...How does your mirror define you now?



Have a blessed day!
~Courtney

3 comments: