Friday, November 15, 2013

Where the Roses Never Fade


I am going to a city where the streets with gold are laid,
I am going to a city where the roses never fade.
Where the tree of life is blooming
And the roses never fade
Here they bloom but for a season;
Soon their beauty is decayed.
I am going to a city where the roses never fade.


Loved ones gone to be with Jesus,
In their robes of white arrayed,
Now are waiting for my coming 
Where the roses never fade.
Here they bloom but for a season;
Soon their beauty is decayed.
I am going to a city where the roses never fade.

I recently lost someone very dear to me. She was like another grandma to me, and I am going to miss her so much. She lived a long, faithful life, always encouraging and serving others. She taught me so much, by the way she lived and the things she said, to be strong as an oxsweet as honeybrave as a lion, to have courage and stay faithful even when it's hardalways love your friends and family even if they don't love you back, tell others about Jesusnever be lazy, and always, always pray.

These last few years when I would see her at church or visit her at home, she would oftentimes talk about me getting married someday. Besides the other many things she would tell me to remember, the one bit of advice she never failed to give me was this: If you find a man who loves God more than anything else in the world, you'll be happy and won't have anything to worry about. She knew very well how important it is to find someone who not only loves you, but who loves and serves God with all that he is. When I was at the funeral home the other night, her daughter reminded me again of what Mrs. Berta Mae had told me. "Always remember," she said.

She loved people, and anyone who came to her home was always welcome. She was honest and spunky. She cared for animals. She was loyal and loving, and priced far above rubies. She was one of the hardest workers I have ever met. She had beautiful long, wavy red hair. She loved nature; flowers most of all. Her favorite song was "Where the Roses Never Fade," and I know she longed for that place where no harsh Winter night would ever destroy a beautiful garden ever again.

Mrs. Berta Mae was loved very much by all who knew her. She was the grandmother of 43, great-grandmother of 55, and great-great-grandmother of 42. This great woman left a beautiful legacy and many precious memories behind. She will be missed dearly, but we all know that she has earned her rightful place in heaven, where the roses never fade.

~
"Precious in the sight of the LORD is the death of His godly ones." (Psalm 116:15)

Have you told anyone you loved them today? Have you hugged someone? Have you shown someone how much you cared? 

Love the people God has given you, because He will need them back one day.

~

In loving memory of Berta Mae Burney
Nov. 16, 1926-Nov. 7, 2013

"Many daughters have done nobly, but you excel them all."
(Proverbs 31:29)

No comments:

Post a Comment