Thursday, December 13, 2012

Homemade Crescent Rolls

A very dear friend and neighbor of ours' mother recently passed away, so my mom wanted us to fix some food to take to them. Today she gave me the job of making crescent rolls from scratch, a recipe we just discovered a few days ago, and they are so fun and easy to make, and taste delicious!

I mixed the ingredients and let them rise, and just before I was going to start rolling out the dough, a friend of ours came over with her two grandchildren. The girl is almost four years old, and when she saw me getting out the flour and dough, she wanted to help. So I helped her wash her hands, put an apron around her, and stood her up on a little stool.

She thought the big blobs of dough were funny. She helped me roll out the dough into a circle, and then I cut the four flattened circles into triangles like a pizza. After I showed her how to roll the pieces into a crescent, she had it down pat immediately! Her rolls turned out just as good as mine.

I so enjoyed slowing down and teaching her how to do it. She learned something today, and we both helped to give our neighbors a little something to lighten their load. I'm so thankful for such a sweet little girl in my life to share giggles, floury hands, and good times with.

Here is the recipe, if you'd like to try it sometime:

1 1/2 C. milk
3/4 C. + 1 T. sugar
1 egg
1 T. salt
2 T. yeast 2 C. warm water
9-10 C. all-purpose flour
1/2 C. butter

Scald 1 1/2 cups milk, 3/4 cup sugar, and 1/2 cup butter. Add 1-2 cups flour, 1 egg, and 1 tablespoon salt. Let it cool enough to add yeast. Dissolve yeast first in 2 cups warm water and 1 tablespoon sugar. Let yeast water sit for a couple of minutes until it is bubbly. Using fork or wooden spoon, gradually stir in remainder of the 9-10 cups flour. Add 1-2 cups at a time, stirring it in carefully. When it gets stiff, stir with hands. Let rise until doubled in size. Divide into four equal-sized balls and cut into eights like a pizza, then roll like a crescent, from big end to point. Bake until done all the way through.

God bless!

No comments:

Post a Comment